Looking for something to do this weekend? Here's a list of five of the top things to do around Riverhead Town.
1. Head to Hallockville. The takes place Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. till 5 p.m. at the , featuring hay rides, a tractor pull, a crafts fair, traditional folk artists, over 50 vendors, and fun for the entire family.
2. See a show. The Riverhead Faculty and Community Theatre presents an all-junior cast in the musical, " Showtimes are Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 1 p.m. Ticket prices are $5 for students 17 and under and $15 for adults. For more information, visit the RFCT website www.rfct.org, or call Christine Springer at (631) 255-1205.
3. Help clean a beach. Local Girl Scouts will be conducting a beach cleanup on Saturday for the American Littoral Society's "International Coastal Cleanup." The event is at Reeves beach from 10-1. More information on the project can be found at www.alsnyc.org.
4. Take a hike. For a , visit the Cranberry Bog Nature Preserve, a tiny jewel set in the wetlands of Riverhead. On the west side of Lake Avenue, just about a mile or so south of the traffic circle by the river, you'll see a sign that marks the entrance to the preserve. There's a small off-road parking area. You'll need to walk in to the loop trail which takes you around Sweezy Pond; the loop is about a mile long, and takes as long as you'd like to spend. Along the way you'll see lots of native plants and animals. A Great Blue Heron fishes here frequently, as do kingfishers and other water fowl.
5. Go to a car show. Friends of the Big Duck host the fourth annual Autumn Antique Auto Show on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Flanders Road in Flanders. The event features raffles, trophies, and oldies music by Vinny V. Registration costs $15 in advance, $20 on the day of the event. $5 for walk ins, children under 12 are free.