Updated, 4:15 p.m.: Police said a Monday morning fire that hospitalized a father and daughter was likely caused by a candle that was left burning by one of the occupants of the home.
The fire killed the family dog in the blaze, which ravaged the Aquebogue home after it started around 4 a.m.
Riverhead Fire Department members quelled the fire, though it completely destroyed the Trout Brook Lane house. The father and daughter were brought to Peconic Bay Medical Center and treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.
Original story: Two people were hospitalized on Monday after an early morning fire ravaged a home on Trout Brook Lane in Aquebogue.
According to Riverhead News-Review, police received a call about the blaze at 4 a.m., and firefighters battled the fire for two hours before extinguishing the flames.
Emergency works transported a father and a daughter, who were inside the house, to Peconic Bay Medical Center, where they were treated for non-serious injuries.