.

Released Prisoner Filed $50M Lawsuit, Another Suit Expected

Riverside resident Mohammed Proctor has filed a lawsuit seeking $50 million in damages, and his lawyer says following recent developments, another lawsuit will follow.

A Riverside man sentenced in 2011 on felony drug charges - according to the District Attorney's Office - is reportedly seeking $50 million in damages, and according to his attorney, will have another lawsuit on the way.

The sentences of Mohammed Proctor and Bernard Cooks were vacated last week by D.A. Thomas Spota after his office came across information which affected the credibility of an officer unnamed by the D.A. 

According to a Newsday article, Proctor filed a lawsuit in 2010 seeking $50 million in damages, naming the members of the now-disbanded Southampton Police street crimes unit, including Sgt. James Kiernan - for undisclosed reasons - officer Eric Sickles and Assistant District Attorney Andrew Heffernan.

While Proctor filed that lawsuit pro se, according to his attorney Laura Solinger, she said that she will be filing another civil suit on his behalf, given new information that has come to light. Solinger said she had not seen Proctor's claim, and therefore could not comment in detail about the differences between the two.

"When Mohammed filed his lawsuit, he wasn't told the officers involved in this case were potentially corrupt," said Solinger, who also defended Proctor in his drug case before his conviction. "That's a new fact."

The Southampon Police Department has made headlines over the past couple of weeks following Kiernan's suspension. Five days after Kiernan, the former head of the street crimes unit, was suspended, , reportedly placed there days before Chief William Wilson took his post as head of the department in 2011.

According to the Newsday article, Proctor's case claims that evidence in the case was illegally obtained, and he was forced to sign a false confession statement.

Proctor lost custody of his children as a result of the conviction, Solinger said.

"The D.A.'s office said 'We have a confession,' but I don't think they looked into it too deeply," Solinger said. "Unfortunately people like Mohammed aren't believed very often."

D.A. Spokesman Robert Clifford said, "The allegations in the civil lawsuit are baseless."

Click here to read the article on Newsday.

Jaguar-Guy May 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Oh boy, here we go !!!
Frog Morton May 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Some mess. And Overton called it "political".
oh yeah May 31, 2012 at 11:33 PM
That will buy a boat load of crack..........
Jaguar-Guy June 07, 2012 at 11:26 AM
I understand that he his rectum was searched and crack was found in his butt. He is suing for an illegal search and claiming violations of his civil rights. As long as the Police had probable cause for the search, they should survive this one, but it will cost us hundreds of thousands to defend this frivilous crud. Cases like this should be thrown out. It's like suing for a 5 million dollar hot coffee burn !!!!
Jaguar-Guy June 07, 2012 at 11:26 AM
No Puns intended there either !!
proctor! September 13, 2012 at 02:16 PM
If the police had probable cause to conduct the search it wouldn't be illigal search n seizer now would it. There are procedures police must follow even if there is probable cause.a body cavity search warrent is required. Probable cause did not exsist at the time the search warrent was applied for the application was for his residence.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something