School starts in Riverhead on Wednesday, and new school bus routes and a new bell schedule will be in effect for the 2012-2013 school year.
As part of the district’s ongoing effort to save money and resources, some routes have been altered and some bus stops have been relocated.
"Please be patient while the bus routes are getting ironed out," transportation director Amala Cain said.
Click here for a full schedule of each new bus route and schedule:
High School and HS STAR / Middle School and Pulaski Street School / Aquebogue / Phillips / Riley / Roanoke / Charter School / St. Isidore-Mercy / Our Lady of Mercy AM / Our Lady Queen of Apostles AM / Our Lady of the Hamptons AM / Raynor Country Day School / Leonard E. Burkett School
In addition, the Riverhead Central School District asks that parents follow a list of suggestions to keep students safe:
- In the mornings, please have students at the bus stop at least five minutes before the scheduled pick up.
- Please do not chase after a missed bus. Buses are unable to return for students who miss the bus.
- Children should look to the driver for the signal to cross the street safely.
- Never pass a bus with its flashing lights on. Nothing is more important than student safety.
Parents should let the district know, in writing, if:
- A young student is allowed to be let off the bus without an adult present.
- Another adult will be meeting the child at the bus each day.
- An emergency occurs and a child needs to be dropped off or picked up at another location.
- Before or after school care arrangements have been made for a child.
- A phone number has changed.
Parents who need special accommodations are asked to contact pupil personnel services at 631-369-6800. During the first two weeks of the school year, phone lines are heavily used; parents' patience is greatly appreciated. In addition, district officials say, not all requests can be accommodated due to routing limitations and the needs of other students within the district.
New Bell Times
New Times for Each School