.

Feeling Thrifty on the NoFo: Group to Hold Children's Clothing Drive

Parents looking to make a few bucks on their kids' gently used clothing can register to sell clothing on the North Fork Kids website.

Parents on the North Fork know it is not cheap to raise kids out here and it is hard to find affordable programs for them to enjoy during the summer.

Laura Smith of North Fork Kids knows this as well, so five years ago she began a one-week theater camp in the summer. She said she decided she wanted to expand the program and become a non-profit organization, but her organization needs to raise money to do both those things. This year, she decided to launch a clothing drive to raise money for her organization.

“We’re trying to make it more affordable to raise kids here,” Smith said.

Her first spring/summer clothing drive will be held from March 24 through March 26 at in Aquebogue. Smith said they will have clothing and shoes appropriate for children from birth up until age 18. In addition, they will have baby equipment and formal attire available as well.

What makes this thrift sale different is that parents can earn money on what they sell and help raise funds for North Fork Kids at the same time. Consigners will earn 65 percent of the money of what they bring in, and if they volunteer to help with the sale they earn a little more. The remaining 35 percent will go to paying Hallockville, to defray operational costs, and the remainder will be profit for the group.

Smith said it is easy to register to be a consigner for the event. The group’s website takes parents through a two-step phase. First parents must register on the site and they are then given a number to use to register the clothing items they wish to sell. The parents then print out tags on card stock to put on their items.

Smith said she will drop the $10 registration fee for people who register their items by March 18. Volunteers and consigners will be given special preview hours to shop on Friday afternoon and during the 50-percent off sale on Sunday morning. New moms will also be given an opportunity to shop on Friday afternoon.

“There really are a lot of options to make this work for people,” she said.

Smith said people have been very helpful with setting up the first sale, especially Hallockville and the women who run the Kid’s Closet in Deer Park, who have offered to let her use racks for the sale. The drop-off day for the sale is March 23.

Ultimately, she said, she would like to run two sales: one in the spring and one in the fall. At this point, she is in the “crunch time” and is trying to spread the word about the sale and promoting the reuse and resale of children’s clothing.

For additional information on becoming a volunteer, consigner, or clothing presentation, visit the website or call Smith at 631-833-0609.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »